Thursday, September 17, 2015

World of Pure Imagination

This past week I decided that I would focus on creating storyboards for the animation. First, though, that meant I had to have a firm idea on the different worlds.

So they go as followed:

Main World Clay/fabrication
Fantasy World Water color
Evil World Pencil/Charcoal
City World Construction paper
Water World Tissue paper
Roots World Photo-real
Book World Typography
Cliff World Computer 3D
     (Return to Main World)

The storyboards shown here are broken into three parts to represent the 3 sections. No word explanation or number accompanies them (though I know there should be) for the simple reason that I thought it would detract from the look.





Some things I realized.

1) Anna is WAY too young. 

After drawing everything out I found that my original sketch of Anna gave the look of a 5 year old and the story really calls for someone around 11-13 I think.

2) I have a favorite shot already.

It is something that isn’t really a great thing to have, especially so early on, since that means I will be more likely to be unwilling to change it. But it just looks awesome!



3) I might have shot myself in the foot. Again.

It is only week 3 and already this seems like a huge task. 8 worlds all with their own technique? I must be crazy. But, hey, if it wasn’t hard then everyone would do it.

And now, a treat.

I did do some other work and thinking over the past week in addition to the storyboards.

First off, the City World. I want it to be in a 3D paper style. I feel like these two projects. The building was made by the French company Zim & Zou. The city was made by a lady named Hattie Newman. These both are large influences for the final look of this world.



Second, Book World. To give you a better idea of what I hope to achieve you just have to look at Winnie the Pooh. Disney has, in nearly every Pooh video, had the characters interact with the text or book. That is my plan. What the words say.... not too sure yet. For the sake of time I used the lines from Picture Puzzle Piece by Shel Silverstein which was the diving board of this whole operation to begin with.



Finally, Fantasy World - again. When I said to my class last week that I would be changing this world’s style and not do water color anymore everyone started yelling. Apparently even though I'm brand new to the medium everyone likes it so it is staying. Because of that I did some more exploration on the actual colors and designs of the foliage. And I have to say that I love the golden trees.






So there you have it. Another week, another update, and a whole lot more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment